Two Sticks And Some String !

This is me, an opinionated, politically progressive Canadian Lace Knitter who's lived and worked in western Canada, and on the east coast of the USA; a multi-skilled person who's been recently re-elected to public office, has a Class One driver's license, a human services professional in direct service, middle and senior management positions, and a MOM!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Mougin Wedding Garter

Stephen Mougin emailed me in early January, telling of his upcoming February wedding to his beautiful Slovakian bride. It was to be a small affair; a few friends and family in Williamsburg, Massachusetts, an intimate ceremony followed by a celebration.

I met Stephen when I was living in Massachusetts. He was the chorus teacher at Ralph C. Mahar Secondary School in Orange, MA, my stepdaughter being one of his students. I first met him when he was producing and directing The Sound of Music at the school. I volunteered to assist with the hair and mak
eup, and that was the beginning of many wonderful friendships, and the first of four musicals at that school in which I was involved.
Since leaving MA in December, 2003, we have stayed in touch. I have followed his musical career (he left teaching just before I left MA) with Valerie Smith and Liberty Pike, and now with the Sam Bush Band. He toured in Europe for some time, and that's where he met his love.

Jana


I offered to knit a lace wedding garter, and his response was a very quick "yes"! I chose the cotton thread (after trying to find some silk thread here in Lethbridge). Time was of the essence, and getting a garter knit and mailed was more important than doing it in silk.

The garter was knit on 1.5mm needles, with approximately Size 30 cotton thread. I chose a slightly fuzzy (not highly mercerized) thread, because I liked the softness, and the slight fuzziness added to the romantic appearance of this lace.

And here it is:

I mailed it in plenty of time; paid extra for expedited mailing and tracking. It left Canada the day after I mailed it, with a guaranteed 5-day delivery time.

Stephen received my email saying the garter was on its way. He waited. I waited. Jana waited. He emailed me, asking if I had tracked it. I sent him the Canada Post website as well as the tracking number; I checked it out and the message stayed the same. It left Canada the day after I mailed it, and after that, it disappeared.

Somewhere in the bowels of either the US Postal system, or The Department of Homeland Insecurity, a uniform containing a human being (presumably) decided to prevent that little package from reaching its destination on time.

Score one more for Bin Laden, and one less for Life and Liberty in The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave.

So on Stephen's and Jana's wedding day, the garter which I had so lovingly knit was not worn by the bride.

The US Postal Service delivered it the following Monday, nearly three weeks after it was mailed.

Ok, so in the whole scheme of things, it's just a wedding garter. Stephen and Jana still got married, it was a wonderful wedding, and the world continues to spin.

Stephen sent me a beautiful email after they opened the envelope. They decided that the garter is too beautiful to store in a drawer, and they're going to have it framed. I am honoured.

One day I'm going to make Alfredo sauce (from scratch) and linguine, and Stephen and Jana are going to sit at our Dining Room table in my big house on Vancouver Island, and we're going to enjoy the meal as the sun streams through the holly trees just outside the dining room window.

And if they're there at the right time of the year, they may even get some fresh Kiwi fruit, grown right in my own yard.

Ok, you two newlyweds, Dorne and I are moving back to the Island Labour Day weekend this year. Plan accordingly!

Update: September 16, 2007
Offer: You, too, can have your own hand-knit lace wedding garter. Fees will vary depending on materials (silk, linen, or cotton thread, embellishments, etc.) . Please contact me a minimum of 6 weeks before the wedding date. Email me at: rosemarie dot buchanan at gmail dot com.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Sun May 07, 02:14:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a shame it didn't get there on time. The same people managed to cut a hole in the cuff of my sockapaloooza sock enroute to a US address from the UK. My take in the situation is that they look at the customs ticket and can't quite believe that someome would be daft enough to send the stated contents to someone as a gift - after all who sends socks? - it must be a bomb :-)

     
  • At Sun May 07, 02:39:00 p.m. PDT, Blogger Rosemarie Buchanan said…

    Hi Janine ... absolutely; fear and suspicion reign supreme, or in the words of Dubyuh: "If yer not fer us, yer agin us".
    What a shame. Bin Laden is laughing in his beer, eh?

    Rosemarie

     
  • At Sat May 13, 08:39:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the way it's "told", written.

     
  • At Mon Jun 19, 08:00:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is truly amazing work! Would you mind sharing the pattern?

    And best wished to the Groom and Bride!

     
  • At Wed Jun 21, 11:32:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The garter is beautiful. A shame it didn't get there in time.

    Alfredo sauce: simple - it's just cream, butter, and freshly grated Parmesan. I tried everything from heavy cream (too greasy) all the way down to 2%. Forget the 2%. Half and half is the way to go.

    Marsha

     
  • At Mon Jul 31, 03:01:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You seem to have a vendeta against much of America's attempts to make the world a better place (read: keep more of the world free from terror, and sacrifice much for so many others.) Why are you unable to develop your personal comments to match your obvious intelligence level, and recognize that the U.S. takes up the slack that other free countries fail to keep up? You're a smart girl. Do the math, and get the Maple leaf flag flying more for freedom, too. It's up to Knitters everywhere, right?

    Take care. Knit on! :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogging Dippers
Progressive Bloggers
Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
NO Deep integration!
Previous

Skip Prev 5

List Prev 5

Next

Skip Next 5

List Next 5

List All Random Site Join!
This RingSurf Site is owned by TwoSticksAndSomeString

Fearless knitting

I am Knitting Daily
ru knitting daily?


Webring is owned by
Two Sticks and Some String !.
Previous | Next | List Sites