Two Sticks And Some String !

This is me, an opinionated, politically progressive Canadian Lace Knitter who's lived and worked in western Canada, and on the east coast of the USA; a multi-skilled person who's been recently re-elected to public office, has a Class One driver's license, a human services professional in direct service, middle and senior management positions, and a MOM!

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Wedding Garter Pattern

Nurhanne and I "met" through the Knitted Lace List, in 1999. I joined the (then) monthly bookmark exchange, and she was given my name by the coordinator. I had just moved to Massachusetts, from the West Coast of Canada, was homesick beyond belief, and she knit me a bookmark with pine trees (a Shetland lace design) and pine cones. I received this wonderful gift from her, along with a lovely note explaining that she had chosen those patterns to remind me of my home in Canada. That was to be the first of many bookmarks I received in the bookmark exchange (an off-shoot of the Knitted Lace List).

(Nurhanne's bookmark is the green one, second from the top.)


Then I started knitting the wedding garters, using a pattern someone had sent me, I co
uldn't remember who, and had no idea where it came from. Fortunately, Nurhanne had been surfing and checked out my blog, and voila! The pattern is from Nurhanne's website.

I'm so glad Nurhanne dropped by and solved the mystery!

(This is the first test-knit of what was to become the garter pattern. Canadian penny is the same size as a US penny.)


I have made some adaptations to the pattern, as I discovered a few secrets along the way. I'll post those at a later time, probably after we're (somewhat) unpacked and (somewhat) set up in Port Alberni.

(The Mougin Wedding Garter, cotton, with blue ribbon)



(The Manson-Pierson Wedding Garter, silk with pink ribbon and freshwater pearls.)

What??? Did someone say Port Alberni?? Ya mean after nearly seven and a half years you're finally going HOME???


Thanks for visiting, Nurhanne! Drop by again soon!

Update: September 16, 2007
With all the interest shown in my knitted wedding garters, I am offering to knit them for anyone who wishes to order one. I will, of course, be charging a fee, which will vary depending on thread (silk, cotton, linen) and embellishments (pearls, ribbon, etc.)
Please contact me: rosemarie dot buchanan at gmail dot com for details!
Thanks!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Oct 02, 11:48:00 a.m. PDT, Blogger Rosemarie Buchanan said…

    Testing!

     
  • At Mon Oct 02, 04:33:00 p.m. PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Such wonderful work by talented hands and a beautiful mind!
    You will soon be in your most loved home and surroundings Rosemarie.
    Your imagination and dreams await you there.
    Second star to the right......
    S.
    xo

     
  • At Sat Oct 14, 06:51:00 a.m. PDT, Blogger Kirsten said…

    I like the bookmarks and wedding garters. I had never even thought of the possibility of a garter, but it makes so much sense with all these lovely edging patterns.

     
  • At Tue Jun 05, 08:16:00 a.m. PDT, Blogger gullyer said…

    Those garters are beautiful! I have been looking for a good pattern for my cousin's wedding and this looks perfect! Unfortunately the link doesn't work. Do you know of a better link or can you send me the pattern?

     
  • At Tue Feb 26, 12:13:00 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogging Dippers
Progressive Bloggers
Vast Left Wing Conspiracy
NO Deep integration!
Previous

Skip Prev 5

List Prev 5

Next

Skip Next 5

List Next 5

List All Random Site Join!
This RingSurf Site is owned by TwoSticksAndSomeString

Fearless knitting

I am Knitting Daily
ru knitting daily?


Webring is owned by
Two Sticks and Some String !.
Previous | Next | List Sites